22 January, 2013

Ignorance shattered


I think it's interesting that we paint pictures of our acquaintances based on what they wear, how they carry themselves, what they're interested in, their political views etc. And we subconsciously fill in the gaps with stereotypes and ignorance. It's interesting to see how people react when those stereotypes don't pan out and the people they thought they knew end up different.

My wife and I recently attended an employee appreciation dinner. It was a formal event with suite coats and dresses. My wife wore a beautiful dress that she made herself, she also did her hair up really nice, however... she does have a mohawk. It's not a punk mohawk with foot long points or anything, she does it up very elegantly with flowers and it's very pretty. Apparently though this was a bit of a stir. I've just been informed that we've been the center of gossip around the office. People know that I'm politically conservative and they know that I go to church every week. However based on that information they've assumed that my wife and I are conservative about everything in our lives. Seeing me in public with my beautiful wife shattered their ignorance, I no longer fit the stereotype of a conservative -- Only open minded liberals do crazy things like mohawks. Don't get me wrong, it was well received, they all really liked my wife and I'm still getting compliments on her dress and hair.

I'm pleased that we had this effect on people because when you throw a wrench in their ignorance they have no choice but to question the other assumptions they've made about you. Also I love my wife and it makes me happy when I get to show her off. I've received many compliments on her dress, and I've been told that people are still talking about it. She worked hard on it and it showed.

I wonder what they think of me now? Have I shattered their ignorance enough to make them question their judgments on others as well? I hope so.

No comments: